Happy Cinco de Mayo! First thing’s first with a little history behind this holiday – we in America may enjoy celebrating because of our endless love for margaritas and Mexican food, but did you actually know why the fifth of May is significant in Mexican history? Well, back on May 5, 1862, the Mexican army defied the odds by coming out victorious over Napoleon’s French army in the Battle of Puebla. As a history buff, I think it’s important to note the real reason behind celebrating this date, and as someone with Hispanic heritage (although not Mexican), I’m happy to join in the fiesta!
It would be quite a lengthy post if I were to feature every Cinco de Mayo special and event going on here in New England, so I apologize if I am going to be biased here and only feature specials at Mexican restaurants around Southern NH (Manchester/Nashua region), my homebase these days and where I am today! If you’d like to add a special from a restaurant outside the area, please feel free to submit it in the comments. Side note: I’ve only featured restaurants that I was able to find Cinco de Mayo specials for, but there are more Mexican restaurants in the area. If you know of a spot that is having a special or event that I missed, shoot a comment my way! Without further ado, here is the list in ABC order:
- Shorty’s Mexican Roadhouse (206 Rte. 101) – Dos Equis promo 4-5pm, Corona Light promo 5-7pm, live entertainment with Brad Bosse, and a chance to meet the Most Interesting Man in the World!
- Hermanos Cocina Mexicana (11 Hills Ave.) – Mike Morris playing in the lounge, draft beer specials while beer reps are in the restaurant, new sweet and spicy margarita, beads and keychains. Fiesta from 11:30am-9:00pm.
- El Rodeo (22 Loudon Rd.) – Meet the Most Interesting Man in the World at 10:00pm!
- Dos Amigos Burritos (26 N. Main St.) – $2 Taco Tuesday.
- Margarita’s Concord (1 Bicentennial Sq.) – “The Party to End All Parties”, all restaurants open from 11:30am on.
- La Carreta (35 Manchester Rd.) – Drink specials, giveaways, free raffle for a trip to Cancun, music, and a very special surprise around 6:00pm!
- La Carreta (1875 S. Willow St. & 545 Hooksett Rd.) – Giveaways, specials, live duo from 2-4pm and Mariachi Band from 4-7pm at the S. Willow St. location. Specials, giveaways, free raffle for a trip to Cancun, Mariachi Band 12-3pm and 8-10pm, DJ in bar (bar closes at 12am, kitchen at 11pm), Hooksett Rd. location.
- El Jimador (575 S. Willow St.) – $4.99 Lime Margarita, $3.50 Mexican beer bottle, $4.75 El Jimador tequila shots, giveaways, and more (note: No Taco Tuesday).
- Margarita’s Manchester (1037 Elm St.) – “The Party to End All Parties”, all restaurants open from 11:30am on.
- Shorty’s Mexican Roadhouse (1050 Bicentennial Dr.) – Dos Equis promo 5-7pm (and a chance to meet the most interesting man in the world!), live entertainment with Brooks Hubbard 7-9pm
- Cactus Jack’s (782 S. Willow St.) – Specials on Corona, Corona Light, Modelo Especial, Pacifico and more.
- Dos Amigos Burritos (931 Elm St.) – $2 Taco Tuesday.
- Tortilla Flat (595 Daniel Webster Hwy.) – $2 tacos all day, 5:30-6:30pm $6.99 Olmeca margaritas, 6:00-9:00pm live music with MB Padfield, 7:30-8:30pm $3 Corona Light, Modelo Especial and Pacific drafts, 8:30-9:30pm $3 Dos Equis Ambar drafts.
- Mi Jalisco Restaurante Mexicano (586 Nashua St.) – Corona and XX girls from 4-10pm with goodies, DJ from 4pm-close.
- El Colima Mexican Restaurant (116 W. Pearl St.) – “Fiesta, Cerveza and Margaritas. Join us to celebrate!”
- La Carreta (139 Daniel Webster Hwy.) – Drink specials, giveaways, raffles, live music 5-8pm.
- Agave Azul (94-96 Main St.) – “We have a lot of great events lined up today. ESPN is broadcasting live”.
- Margarita’s Nashua (1 Nashua Dr.) – “The Party to End All Parties”, all restaurants open from 11:30am on.
- Shorty’s Mexican Roadhouse (48 Gusabel Ave.) – Dos Equis promo 3-5pm, Corona Light promos 5-7pm, live entertainment by Kieran McNally.
- Margarita’s Salem (1 Keewaydin Dr.) – “The Party to End All Parties”, all restaurants open from 11:30am on.
- Plaza Azteca (552 Broadway in Methuen, on the border of Salem) – A full day featuring specials, models and giveaways, drinks, DJs, music and more!
Ándale, ándale, get moving and head over to a fiesta near you!